Hockey: First win remains elusive

FI-hockeyThe Joel Barlow High hockey team definitely missed a few of its seniors in its last two games.

Hosting Watertown-Pomperaug last Wednesday, Jan. 2, the Falcons would have a tough time scoring. Defensively they also had their hands full in a 7-0 loss at the Danbury Ice Arena.

The Falcons were without three seniors, leaving them with a single senior in their starting lineup. Tim Eng was out due to a game misconduct given to him the game before for taking five minor penalties in one game. Andrew Mallozzi was out of action due to some concussion- like symptoms although Barlow is hoping to have him on the ice again soon. Dan Cirino has been out for quite a while now with knee problems but may just find his way back onto the ice before the end of the season.

The lineup had to make serious changes in order to accommodate for the losses.

Sophomores Danny Pirone and Eddie Thiede were given much more playing time due to the shift in lineup. The two forwards performed fairly well under the pressure of the role they were jammed into and may prove useful to the coaching staff for games where more depth is needed.

Barlow tried to keep its composure. After the first period Watertown led only 1-0 on a goal that came from a one- timed shot in front. The second period was when Watertown really turned on the offense that was sure to be generated from its 12 seniors. Watertown scored four goals against Barlow’s Goalie Thierry Jean, who seemed to be throwing himself every which way to make the first save but the defense and forwards in front of him could not clear the puck out after the rebound.

The third period came with a slowing down of play as Watertown put in some of its younger players. It still notched two more goals but one was against Barlow’s backup goaltender Liam Murphy, who the coaches decided to give some game time experience.

Visiting Housatonic-Northwestern-Wamogo two days later, the Falcons suffered a few breakdowns. Such would cost them the game in a 4-3 overtime loss at the Hotchkiss school.

The first period ended 1-0 for Housatonic where a low angle shot took a deflection and then tipped off of Jean’s glove to go into the net.

The second period went Barlow’s way with it ending two to one for Barlow off of two goals from Eng and Shimko. The third period came with action as Housatonic came right out and tied it off of a weird but accurate first shot. Almost seconds later Charlie Berry carried the puck down the ice on a two on one but decided to keep it and shoot and score to put Barlow in front again. Then, after Housatonic pulled the goalie to try and tie it up, it scored with 9.5 seconds left by passing the puck to and open man who was one-on-one with Jean.

The game entered overtime with Housatonic in a full upward momentum swing. Within minutes Housatonic intercepted a defense to defense pass and came down on a breakaway to score, dragging Jean all the way down to the end of his crease just to slide it past his pad.

Barlow, now 0-4, visits Rockville-Bolton-Coventry-Lyman Memorial on Saturday at the Bolton Ice Palace at 7:45 p.m. and is home to Newtown on Wednesday at 6:40.

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. The Easton Courier, 16 Bailey Ave, Ridgefield, CT 06877

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress